WordPress Database replacing the easy way
I published an NPM package a small cli tool which does the exporting and replacing the URL for a WordPress website piece of cake. You can export and replace within 10 seconds (depending the size of the database and how fast you type).
I started this as a project for personal use, but decided to make it as an NPM package and publicly accessible. We all know the ritual for WordPress development.
- Develop local using docker containers
- Use git commit, git push (or FTP upload for old school hardcore people) to deploy
- open phpmyadmin, find the database,export the database
- find the file in the downloads folder (find which one is the latest from
database (5).sqlbecause you deleted (4)
- replace the local url with the staging/production url you can do it by:
- using any text editor to search/replace the url or
- using a plugin to import and replace url in the database
- Install the plugin
- Configure the plugin
- Run the search/replace and wait to finish
- Done Or do the following while you are in your project directory:
devild db:exportand follow the instructions to export your database in your current directory
devild db:replaceand follow the instructions to replace the url and create another file to keep the original one.
- done ( ~10 seconds ⏳ )
This package is available at NPM Registry where you can install it by running
yarn global add @perlatsp/devild or
npm i -g @perlatsp/devild